Day 3: Stumble through

 Published 5/11/23, 6:09 PM (For 5/10)

Hours spent: 8 

Total hours 22 (by this point)


With all creative processes, not everyday is going to bring miracles. As a new composer, this must be the less pretty side of songwriting, where you have to muscle through and keep pushing forward when things get tough; in this example I almost wanted to give my song up entirely. 



This particular day I got to the music room at 8:30ish. Now that I had a song concept in terms of chord progression and a basic melody, I set out to continue to write my melody and lyrics. The day was a struggle compared to the first two as I had a poorer sleep, thus less motivation. I managed, however, to come up with a concept for the first line of  a verse and a different chord progression for that verse. I worked right until 12, however, much of that time was spent playing the progression over and over. After lunch, I had band recording, in which I showed Scott my song (which was not that improved compared to the first two days.) I didn’t particularly feel fond of my song, mainly the message. I have a lot of things to say and  a lot of things I have dealt with (I know many people have too but I want to share these things regardless) but this song doesn’t even have to do with me, it’s roughly about one partner in a relationship (in this case a man) begging for forgiveness. I have never been in this situation, however the song almost wrote itself and I came to the conclusion that it would be foolish to give it up or change it dramatically after three days of work. 



[I don’t have  a video or photos  from that day due to my drudgery, and that caused me not to post it on time. Not to worry! Today’s blog will have a video.] 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Brainstorming and warming up

Day 4: Juices Flowing

Week 2 Reflection