Week 2 Reflection

 With my first  (and only complete) song ready, my second week was a race to start recording. I did not expect the process to be so slow. I wanted to record my guitar, vocals, and harmonica only in one track but looking back on it, if I started recording them separately from the get go, I would probably have a more complete recording in terms of instrumentation. It was thrilling to record my song as I was doing, it was almost like performing it live because if you mess up you have to restart. That is why Scott told me to perform it as if I am in a pub or restaurant, where I would have to improvise if I forget lyrics. I ended up doing this on a few of the takes. I also learned how each recording is different, you can never replicate the same recording exactly. This is similar to acting for me, as I can’t replicate a performance, what comes out comes out. During this week I started experimenting with writing another song. I ended up finding a nice chord progression and started writing lyrics but I was so bogged down by recording my first song that I didn’t have time to flesh the second one out. However, on Thursday Scott gave me tips on how to set up a home recording studio. I could start right away on garageband using my iPhone microphone, but when I’m ready I could put in $150 for a microphone, headphones, cables, etc on Sweetwater. This is exciting for me when I get back home. I am excited to start recording my own stuff continuously. I think this benefits me greatly, as Scott’s knowledge has allowed me to have a clear path in mind of what I will do with music in the future in terms of writing, and acquiring equipment. This helps me achieve my goals of composing and recording my own material. I’m already smiling thinking of what I will do when I get home. I absolutely loved what I was doing day in and day out, every day was a joy to be working. It didn’t feel like work at all. I tapped into a field of creativity I didn’t know I had in me and now I feel more fulfilled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Brainstorming and warming up

6: Lyrical dilemmas